Saturday, May 12, 2007

Graduate

I'm going to grad school!

I got word yesterday from Temple that was admitted to the School of Social Administration for the degree of Master of Social Work.

I'm still giddy.

Of course, the admissions process has left a lot to be desired. Last fall I scrambled and submitted my application (3 letters of references, a "goals" essay, transcripts and a $50 application fee.) As of November 6, the university cashed my check. I assumed everything was hunky dorey.

But time moved on and i hadn't heard anything after the New Year. But the deadline was February, so I didn't worry about it.

In March I finally called only to find that Temple "lost" my application. It "fell between the cracks." They did find my application but not the proof that they took my money, so I supplied a copy of the cashed check.

Then I waited. And waited.

I checked on the uni's nifty intranet site for graduate school admission status. Every time it said my status was "undecided."

So I waited some more.

This week I decided I had waited enough and called the admission office. Yesterday they left a message on my machine saying that I was accepted in March and they hadn't heard from me if I was still planning on attending classes in the fall. Was I still interested? They don't know why an acceptance letter was never mailed to me.

My god. Temple has about the worst admission office ever. I swear to you, as of Thursday night, my little Temple intranet site still said I was "undecided." It's changed today.

I guess my accepted "fell between the cracks" too. If the school didn't have a really good reputation, I'd have second thoughts about attending. However, every Temple graduate I've spoken too has told me that the administration leaves a lot to be desired. They're not joking.

On the bright side, Andy called me at work yesterday to play me the message on the answering machine. I was so excited I just shouted out in the office, "I'm going to grad school!!!"

No comments: