Friday, August 29, 2008

You win again gravity!

This is a little embarrassing. Yesterday, at the car wash, whilst carrying the empty soda cans out of my car, I tripped and fell. Hard. On my wrist. There was that half second that seemed to hand on forever when I could feel myself about to fall over. And then I fell onto the asphalt. My knee and my my right hand stung immediately and then I realized that I could not actually get up. I just could not put any pressure on my hand.

By the time I got home I wa unable to use my hand for anything. I could move the fingers but not rotate my wrist of arm, or apply pressure. I took a tylenol and applied an ice pack. Two hours later with no improvement, Andy took the me to the hospital.

Taking x-rays was very difficult. I simply could not extend my arm to lay it flat. The technitian got frustrated, I think, and forced my arm in place, which caused me to scream and swear like a sailor. Not cool.

The good news is that I did not fracture my wrist. Hooray! I have a wrist sprain. The bad news is that it hurts like hell and there's nothing to do except take aspirin and rest. I was not thrilled to be told this. My arm hurt way too much to be a "sprain." The nurse wrapped my arm up in the bandage and put my arm in the sling. If I had a camera I'd share a sad picture of me with my arm in a sling, still in my pj's because I can not manage to raise my arm enough to get dress.

Today I feel better but I'm still in pain. I can move my fingers without pain (yes!) and can apply enough force to do simple things like open a can of soda. Last night I could not and then discovered that I was too tired to figure out how to open the can with my left hand. I can lift my arm but not extend it straight. I can not scratch my nose with my right hand, for example. Or brush my hair.

I also realized that while I am a Lefty, almost every daily task is down with my right hand. Which is frustrating.

My knee, however, is a festive shade of purple but does not hurt. Odd. Then again I have not been up and down a dozen staircases today. Given the chance, I'm sure it will smart.

All in all, I'm sore but fine. And I do look silly in the sling. Andy says I should get an eye patch. Not because I need it, just so I can pretend to be a pirate, which would make me feel better. :) I think he's right. Argh!

1 comment:

Athene19 said...

Sounds awful. But sooo wanna see a pic of you in a sling with an eye patch! :)