Monday, August 29, 2005

The Tooth of the Matter

Yes, I know. I should ashamed of myself and these stupid puns.

After about four days of agony with an aching tooth, I call the dentist Saturday morning. She calls in a prescription for antibiotics and pain killers. The pain killers help but it still hurts. And I have to eat something to keep the antibiotics down but it hurts to eat anything. It hurts putting any type of pressure on my fucking tooth. So I slurp a little pudding and pretend it's a hamburger.

This afternoon, I go in to see the dentist. I tried to get an earlier appointment but 3 pm is the earliest they've got. I know what the problem is, which tooth it is: the snaggle-tooth. (It broke about two years ago. Didn't hurt at the time.) My snaggle-tooth is abscesed. It'll have to be removed. Okay. I can accept this. I'm willing to part with the broken tooth if it'd just stop hurting. The bad news is they can not do the surgery for another week. Is that okay?

I start crying. It's embarresing, I suffer through blinding pain but can't get out a coherent word when the dentist tells me she can't help me. They had to call in Andy from the waiting room because I was clearly in no state to make a decision.

The dentist did find a surgeon who could do it tomorrow morning. Fabulous. (This is what a crying woman can accomplish.)

Andy's been real good to me. He's driving me around because I'm in no state to drive, brings me soda and chocolaty pudding cups, and he's taking off tomorrow. So tonight I'm going to try to eat what I can because I'm sure I won't be able to eat anything tomorrow.

2 comments:

Athene19 said...

Hmm, soda... chocolate pudding... not exactly tooth-healing products! Bananas go down well and require minimal chewing. Just so you know (do I sound like your mum yet?)

To change the subject completely, I hate having no internet access and having to use stupid internet cafes whenever I want to post! Commenting is all I can do whilst at work :(

Nancey said...

Ba-na-nas?

I got those, too. All I was really able to do was slurp. Tonigh's menu: luke warm soup!