Thursday, May 18, 2006

30

Yesterday morning I wake up and Andy says, "Do you know what day this is?"

"Wednesday," I say, failing the entrance exam for Spy Girl Camp. (It was a bit early for guessing games.) I was still in bed, for crying out loud.

"No. Today's your last day of being in your twenties."

I was tired. And groggy. My eyes started watering. "Shut up! Why would you say that to me!"

"Life begins at thirty," Andy says.

"Shut up, shut up!"

"I'm trying to make you feel better."

"You suck!"

And that was the tone of the day. Everyone at work knew I was turning 30 so they tried to make me feel better about it, which can only make a person feel worse. The way people are acting, it's like I was going to have all my hair turn white and develope instantanious arthritis.

Thankfully, this morning (the 30 morning) Andy didn't try to make me feel better. However, I did anounce that I was spending 30 in jim-jams.

"Wait," he said, "all of your thirties?"

"Just 30."

"Good thing I didn't get you a girft certificate to a clothing store." I did get a gift certificate to a bookstore. Cool.


But now it's my birthday and I'm 30.

It's just a weird concept to wrap my head around.

But I can say that it was WAY more traumatic finding my first white hair at 25. I was getting my hair cut and I was so surprised I stated to tear up in the hair-dresser's chair.

2 comments:

the shrewness said...

i hope youre having a great birthday in your jammies. i might just have to do that when i turn 30!

happy birthday.

Athene19 said...

Hey hey hey!! Happy birthday to the birthday girl!

Sorry about the card (presuming its arrived!) All the card store sells are that its a bad thing to be 30. But apparently, being 30 is like being a REAL grown up. But then Reuben is 32 and he's still a kid at heart. So I guess age is just a number...!

Hope you have a cool one though. :)