Thursday, June 01, 2006

Hey Baby, You Look Pretty to Me

After a long day of work, I'm unpacking the laptop/breifcase, etc from the car and some guy (dark skin, tall, thin, not unattractive) comes up to me and says, "Hey Baby, you look pretty to me."

I hesitate. You look pretty to me. That's a rather backhanded compliment. I'm sure he didn't mean it that way, but all I could think was, "And to everyone else but you, I'm a dog. Thanks for tossing me a bone."

I say, "Thanks." Totally skipping the "for the bone" that was my innner monologue.

"I saw you yesterday but you were in a hurry."

"I was on my way to work." I take my sunglasses off, waving my wedding ring in front of my face.

"What's you name?"

"Melissa."

"Felicia," he says.

"Um, Muh-Lis-Ah," I say slowly.

"Fuh-Li-Ci-Ah," he repeats.

Great. I look pretty to him and he thinks my name is Felicia.

Still, I always appriciate the odd chat-up.

No comments: