Friday, April 15, 2005

Another Cat

Last Thursday, the NAtalies and I were in the Petsmart to get the Hrothgar food. Cats need to eat, apparently. At the front of the store is the rescue animals up for adoption, looking cute and pathetic and pitful (all at the same time) in their cages. Jokingly, I said, "I take one if they have one with half a tail."

But the joke was one me. They had two cats with partial tails. Poor, cute things. They were both raised in a lab and used to teach doctors to do intubations on small children. Ack. They're a year old and have spent their entire lives in a cage. And they are absolutely tiny, only four pounds! They don't even have names, just tatooes on the ears. That's the part that breaks my heart the most.

Needless to say, I feel in love with the lab cats. ONe is a calico and the other a dark grey tabby. Both are sweet and purred loudly and affectionet and cuddly. Damn. I had to take one home.

It took some work, twisting Andy's arm, calling the landlord to assure Andy that we would not have to pay another pet deposit fee. I joking told him I needed to bury all my maternal love into a cat, or have a baby. He saw things my way pretty quickly. By Monday we agreed to adopt one of the cats. I consider it my birthday present and in no way a child replacement. Yesterday I got word that the application was approved and we can pick up the tabby (I'm going with the tabby) up on Sunday.

We're still kicking around ideas for a name. The cat's personality should give us some idea but I do want the name to match Hrothgar. I mean, it'd be silly to have a great old name like Hrothgar and pair it up with Buttons. So I'm taking suggestions on outrageous names.

I've already plunder short list from Beowulf: Wealhtheow, the wife of Hrothgar (but that's kind of sickening sweet, isn't it) and Modthryth, which is really hard to say.

I also wanted to post the link to the Northeast Animal Rescue of Philadelphia and maybe even the cat's photo if it was on the web, but google can't seem to find it. I know it exisits, at Petsmart I saw the website on a sign taped to the door that said "Do not enter, volunteers only."

So, send in the name ideas. Shape a piece of the cat's destiny! Own a small portion of it's soul, etc.

3 comments:

Athene19 said...

Anna thinks you should call it something overly cute like Chicklinbead. I'm partial to Bunnybead myself. :)

BTW, think this is the link you're looking for... http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/P
A283.html

omouse said...

Ironically enough... found link on Dogpile. :)

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/nar.html

omouse said...

Hahahaha... both of us found it... Now... which is your cat?