Monday, March 07, 2005

The Power of the Jello Cake Compels You

At a client's house this afternoon, a Russian couple, and they offered me tea. "Sure," I says. An offero f tea is never tea lone, it is always cake and chocolates, etc. Always too much food but I've tried to decline politely. Every time, "May-lissa, are you sure you do not want tea or coffee?" Not once they ask but many times. To save everyone a lot of effort, I take the tea.

So I had the tea. And then Mrs. X (for legal reasons) brought out this cake. It was...how do I put it? Covered in orange jello.

The anatomy of the cake: First was the inner core of sponge cake, possibly lady finers. Then a layer of custard.This was covered it a hard layer of something crunchy. Best as I can tell, it was crystalized sugar. Then was another layer of custard. More of the crunchy suger. Over all of this was bright pink dreamwhip (a cross between pudding and whipping cream). On top of this was a layer of red jello, in which blackberries, rasberries, and kiwi slices were petrified. Over the entire creation was yellow jello. It is a terrible and awe inspiring sight to behold.

"No one will believe me about this cake," I said.

"Do you like? Our son brought it from New York, from a Russian bakery called Kiev." I didn't point out that Kiev was in the Ukraine, I was to over whelmed by the power of the jello cake.

I couldn't eat the entire slice. Who could? I've never had so much sugar before. So Mrs. X insisted she box it up and I take it home. Now it's staring at me on the computer desk. The thing is so sugary it makes my teeth hurt.

No comments: