Monday, December 12, 2005

the bad news

Today Andy's company laid off 13 employees, which is not the bad news. Andy was not on the list and still has his job. I'm relieved. All weekend he was depressed and kind of moping about the apartment. This morning he left for work with a forced cheery, "Off to my last day of work!"

He was right, it was the last day for a lot of people in his department. Tonight he's been calling all the other who were laid off. I overhead him say, "I don't know who stood up for me. I sure I was going to be on the list."

We had some suspicion this was going to happen. The Princeton lab's lease is up at the end of the month and everyone knew the people from Princeton were not going to be "transfered" to the other two labs.

Andy is still worried about his job, though, which brings me to the bad news. The lease for the Robinsville lab (the one Andy works in) is up at the end of January. He's expecting another round of lay offs.

Good thing we started working on his resume this weekend. Now we know we have a least a month to polish is up and send it out.

In a way, I'm glad people were let go. Now we don't have to live with the uncertainty, wondering if he was going to get laid off before Christmas, etc.

I'm trying to think of a positive way to end this, but I'm just tired. It's bed time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Try to enjoy the holidays, and know that your family is thinking of you.(And yes, I'm family)

Nancey said...

ahh...shucks.