Saturday, January 22, 2005

Baby's Got a Brand New Box!

The new computer arrived last night via the Watkins (who not only put together and installed the machine, but they make deliveries!) And after playing around with it qay past my bed time last night, I can honestly say the Jolly Roger is too much computer for me. It's too powerful. I'm in awe and a little afraid of opening programs least I totally fuck something up.

But in the vein of totally fucking up: we (the Jolly Roger and I) had our first crisis last night. Somehow, and this is only speculation on what actually happened, while I was playing Civ III, an omnimous blue screen popped up and warned that I only had 5 minutes of battery power left. The battery? But the dang machine's plugged into the UPS, the power source. Fuck.

I close the program. Then the whole machine just turns off. And then a high pitched beeeeeeeeeep. It's coming from the UPS. Anxious and really not wanting to wake up the neighbors at midnight with my lack of geek-fu, I grab the UPS and start unplugging, trying to turn it off.

Silence. Something happened.

I turn it on the power button. I suspect that it had been turned off accidently earlier in the evening. The UPS, in addition to being more than a surge protector, is also a battery and can provide a little bit of juice if even the lights go out.

I plug stuff back in. Except for the modem cord that goes from the box to the UPS. The little plastic thing broke in my haste. Oh fuck. Won't go back in, just keeps falling out.

I reassemble the UPS. Everything's fine except no modem connection, no internet.

But this story has a happy ending. Andy and I take the broken cord to Circuit City and by a replacement. We by a new cord, I install, and see how I type on the internet via the new cord! The first crisis with the Jolly Roger resolved. Now it's my computer. I already broke it. :) And then fixed it. *Mel all puffed up with pride*

No comments: