Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Mel Enters the Digital Age

Tremendous news! I, she of old technology, Super Nintendo nostalgia and acient laptop, have purchased a blazing new computer and, most importantly, and MP3 player. I know. Can you believe it?

The computer is a custom build job, which Delmar and Natalie have graciously offered to do. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Of course, I have to be there to "learn" so I won't be so backwards when it comes to spiffing technology. It's got a fast processor (2.9 ghz *sigh*), a kick ass video card for the money, and, most importantly, a scary case. Black and red with this disturbing red glow from the inside. It's tough. If you met my computer in a dark alley, it'll beat you up, take your money and possibly steal all your data.

Ian is going wireless and will be updated to Windows 98 SE so he can suport jumpdrives and not be so tediously redunant. Natalie gave him a physical on Sunday, accessing his wireless apptitude. Apparently, given his age, he's a miracle. Hardly any bad patches on the hard drive and not as slow as I seem to think he is. But I an rather finicky. I want instant! Can't be bothered to wait 15-20 seconds for a program to open.

The MP3 player comes directly from Mom and Gran's Walmart gift cards. Thank you lots. It's not an iPod but I ain't got that kind of money. I also took my chances with the Belkin Tunecast II so I can listen in my car. The reviews ran hot and cold. Either they sucked outright or people loved them. But the reviews from this area seemed favorable so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The MP3 should be here by the weekend. The computer is shipping as I type. Hopefully it'll be costructed over the weekend. Andy and I puchased a laser printer last month, so I'm good in the printer department. The only thing left on my list is a digital camera. Cool. I like being updated.

1 comment:

Athene19 said...

New 'puters are always the coolest thing, aren't they? And then you wonder why on earth you put up with your old one so long! CyberBob just gathers dust nowadays. And I lurve my new laptop! Evo is so cool. Not quite the 'kiss your laptop goodnight' cool but near enough!