Wednesday, May 04, 2005

My Bloody Anniversary

I wanted to write quick little story about waking up this morning and finding my present from Andy on the sofa. He said, "The cats brought this in, I have no idea what it is." And it's this set of apple green mixing bowls from Williams Sonoma that I said I liked about a month ago. And two awesome spatulas that never stain and are heat resesitant. Cool. (I guess part of being a grown up is receiving kitchen stuff and being excited about it.)

But in the process of opening the box, I gave myself a fantasic papercut right on the knuckle of my left index finger. And it bleed. And bleed.

Went to the bathroom for a bandaid (plaster) and we have none. 2 bottle of cough syrup, lots of antibacterial ointment and medical tape. So I wrapped my finger up in medical tape least I bleed my way through breakfast.

I get to work and my office is ransacked. The tower of my computer is unplugged and in the middle of the room. I thought, "Maybe there was a dead mouse behind my desk. Sure is nice of someone to clean it up."

Then I noticed that the stereo is gone. Files from the desk are scattered on the floor. Drawers opened. And, oddly, and empty cannister of antifreeeze on the floor.

I don't jump to conclusions. But then Jule said she didn't leave the office looking a pig sty and the computer from our boss's office is also gone...Crap. We were robbed. Again. The second time in two months.

After we realized that, it was obvious that other desks were ransacked. Nothing else was gone, just the stereo and computer.

And then we noticed that smashed window in the lobby, glass everywhere. And the tool marks on the front door where it was pried opened.


It's amazing how you don't notice these things when your hustling in the door at 8.28 am.

Now we're waiting for the police to show up. We called at nine, it's now 11 am. Philly cops take their time.

I can't work now. I've been told not to touch my desk because it has finger prints. Besides, I really can't focus back in that office today, knowing that a stranger was there, maliciously pawing our stuff.

1 comment:

Webby said...

I hate thieves!

Just to know they were at your desk and going thru all your stuff! Make sure you spary some anti-bacterial cleaner around!