Saturday, November 11, 2006

Liberty Memorial

Today is Armistice Day (which you know) and NPR had a really interesting interview with a guy who'sbeen recording the last living World War One vets. There's only 14 left in the US. The youngest is 106. The oldest is amazingly 115. And there was a mention of Kansas City's Liberty Memorial.

The Liberty Memorial is a beautiful piece of art deco. It is also the largest WWI memorial in the country. Unfortunatly, when I was live in KC, it was also falling apart and in a seedy part of town. I'd always see it from th highway, barricaded by fencing. Apparently, huge chunks of concrete were falling off so there was fencing to prvent hapless people getting hurt.

When I moved away in 2002, it was just starting a restoration. And now it's done! Apparently, as of 9/20/06 it became the National World War One Museum. Cool. Unfortantely, it will be closed from 11/13 to 12/2 - the days when I'm actually going to be home.

Damn it! I think I'm never actually meant to go to the Liberty Memorial, which sucks because I voted for the two-state tax to fix the damn thing. I think I may still go to the memorial, just to actually get close to it.

No comments: