Friday, October 22, 2004

Irrate German Detector

Wednesday morning Jule and I go on a shopping run for the office. Art and craft store, buying supplies for a good-bye project for Lesa, our director. I drove, seeing as how I'm infatuated with my car and it was actually just outside the office front door and not a hell and gone walk to the parking lot.

So I'm driving. Jule's in the passenger seat. I'm driving and then she says, "How come that light says the passenger air is not on?"

I explain that Hyundai's have a sensor to detect if someone weight less than 100-120 lbs. It assumes that if the person is less than 100 lbs,it's a child and turn off. But the sensors have problems and some of the Hyundai's were recalled. Andy and i knew this when we bought the car, thinking, "Skinny minnies ain't our problem." The car always knows when Andy's in the passenger seat.

"I am not a child!" Jules shouts. "Don't I deserve an air bag? What are you doing! Don't crash now!!"

At that moment an idiot in a red van sewerves across the traffic and makes and illegal right hand turn across three more lands of the boulevard. Jerk. I honk my horn appropiately.

Jule, meanwhile, is fixated on the air bag. "I want an air bag! I want an airbag!" She's bouncing around in the seat and by some miracle, the lightgoes off, indicated that the air bag is now on.

I say, "Oh, the irrate German detector must have gone on."

The the light flickers back on. Oh crap. Instead of complaining, she reaches for the car manuel and looks up the section on the air bag, muttering all the while that in Germany there is a button to turn the air bag on and off. Stupid Germans, solving problems with simple engineering.

So it seems that one's bottom must be placed in the middle of the cushion (where the sensor and scale is) and both feet on the floor for the scale to work properly so the air bag will be on.

And then I propmised Jule that I'd write about our misadventure.

Oh, and then we had bad shrimp at lunch and she had no fortune in her cookie. I told her that god hated her and was out to get her. Cause I'm cheery like that.

2 comments:

omouse said...

When I first read the title... I thought it said,"Irate German Dictator." Just thought you'd like to know.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps bad luck travels with Jule - a fortunless cookie is indeed a bad omen. I have yet to develop the ability to read airbags though.