Saturday, October 02, 2004

Nanowrimo!

Ah, the approach of autumn and the arrival of the annual crazed quest to write a novel in a month: Nanowrimo. Of course, for this month a novel is defined as 50,000 words: a little novel, really. Practically a baby novel. A novella.

I encourage you to particiape if you've ever had the ambition to write that great novel but have never gotten around to it, shouted angrily at a movie/book/tv that you could pull a better story out of your ass, or just have nothing to do in November. Sign up now!

This year I'm running with the Virginia/Josephine/Charlotte idea. It seems like fun. I've got character steches, some plot outlines, and even a little bit if dialogue written down in a notebook. But I con't write a word of it until Nov. 1, otherwise that's cheating. So far I've been thinkning about the headers on each chapter. I want to add excerpts from "sources" about the girls once they grow up. Virginia is an archeologist, little newspaper clippings from her latest finds or no finds. Jo is going to be an infamous sufregette, so little political tirades from her. Charlotte, I was surprised to learn, becomes a "beloved children's author." Really. Then I read some of her titles, "A Young Ladies' Illustrated Primer" and "Unsuitable for Children of all ages: a Fairy Tale collection." And then it occured to me, I don't know any unsuitable fairy stories. So, I'm ready for your assistance.

No comments: