Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Welfare Office Sass

What is it with the people at the welfare office? They have to be, hands down, the rudest people I've ever spoken too. I've spent thirty minutes calling one welfare office after another, trying to find out which office covered my client's address. You see, Philly's broken down in sections. And not just by zip code, but also by street. So you can't really tell just by looking at the list in my +resource book or the blurry 10th generation photocopy of "the map."

So, the rudest people on the phone. Such sass. No one knew the answer. Rather than look it up, they hung up or told me to call another office. They act like's it their money they're giving out, coming right from their checking account, and everyone wants their money. And can you imagine the attitute a poor person who needs food stamps must get if they give me, a social worker, a COLLEGUE, that attitute.

Welfare has a lot of problems and every year they get less and less money but all this pressure does not excuse the piss poor professional quality of service from the workers there.

No comments: